The basics


Generally, what applies to EU countries also applies to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, henceforth referred to as EU+4.


Your passport must have at least six months left AND be less than 10 years old if you are going to EU+4 countries. This is except for Ireland, where your passport only needs to be valid for the whole length of your stay. 


You do not need a visa for EU+4 countries, provided you are not staying for more than 90 days in any 180-day period. In 2022, you will have to pay for a visa-waiver scheme – no further details are currently available. However, different rules may apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania.


As before, you should take the bike's logbook/V5C.


You must display a GB sticker, except in Ireland, instead of a UK sticker.


Some mobile phone operators plan to introduce roaming charges.





Make sure your travel insurance includes appropriate health cover. It's also worth checking that it covers you if you are riding a motorcycle – free travel insurance provided by your bank (for example) may not. 


Under the agreed trade deal, EHIC cards will be valid until they expire. The UK is bringing in the GHIC card to replace it. Note that your current EHIC card and the new GHIC card cover EU countries only. The EHIC and GHIC cards cover pre-existing medical conditions and maternity care, but many travel insurance policies (by default, at least) do not.


The government’s advice says that you may need to show a return or onward ticket and show that you have enough money for your stay at border controls. Remember that you are no longer eligible to join the queue for EU, EEA or Swiss citizens, if there is one. 


By default, your bike insurance included the legally necessary cover for EU+4 countries in 2020. Check your policy for 2021 and, if in doubt, call your insurer. You will probably need to get a 'green card' and it may cost extra. If your insurance policy renewal occurs while you are away, you will need a green card for each policy.


If you have a photocard driving licence, you don't need an International Driving Permit for any EU+4 country or San Marino. 



Taking food and drink


You are not allowed to take meat, meat products, milk or milk products into EU countries. 


You need a phytosanitary certificate to take certain plants or plant products into the EU. 



Duty free


The amount of duty-free goods limits are higher than they used to be back in the day. You can bring back to the UK: 


-        up to 42 litres of beer

-        up to 16 litres of still wine (the equivalent of 24 standard bottles)

-        up to four litres of spirits or other liquor over 22% ABV or up to nine litres of sparkling or fortified wine or other liquor up to 22% ABV. You can split this e.g. two litres of spirits and 4.5 litres of champagne.


There are also limits on tobacco products.


You can bring in other goods up to a value of £390 duty-free. If you bring back more than that, you pay duty on the whole amount.


You can bring animal products in from EU+4 countries, except Iceland.



COVID-19 restrictions


This UK Government  HYPERLINK ""webpage may be useful as a starter if you have to travel while there are still restrictions.